Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Time to Wake Up Oklahoma!

As a young person paying my way through law school, I have become, as my father delicately puts it, a tightwad. I force myself to mentally justify each expenditure, never buy on the spur of the moment and carefully examine any alternatives before removing my debit card from the safety deposit box. I often wonder how this compares to the amount of care our state and federal leaders use when they spend our money.

For far too long it seems we have accepted at face value the claim from our state leaders that the amount of money they request (and are allocated) is what is needed to effectively operate our government. However, where are we as a state? Our schools are suffering, roads and bridges are terrible, and welfare spending is higher than ever. It is time for the people of this state to wake up, to realize that more of our money (your money) is being spent than ever before. It is time for the people of this state to speak up, to demand that our elected officials have a line-by-line accounting of each dollar spent. Finally, it is time for the people of this state to stand up, stand up to our elected and other state officials to remind them that they work for us. If they are going to spend our money, they must have something to show for it. If there is not a legitimate reason to spend our dollars, and a tangible result to show for it, the dollars should not be spent. We can accept that they need to spend some of our money but only once they have shown it will be done reasonably and responsibly. They should spend our money with at least the same amount of care and reflection as I use on the rare occasions that I spend my own money.

No comments:

Post a Comment