Monday, January 7, 2013

Free Lunches and No Taxes

The popular saying, “there’s no such thing as a free lunch” came to mind as I stood up after a delicious meal at Hideaway Pizza. Even though Brian Bush, the Executive Vice President, picked up the tab, I couldn’t help but wonder what the real cost of the meal was. 
Thinking back to free-market theories of economics I had picked up in school, I remember the economist Milton Friedman, and his constant use of the phrase. I also recall Dr. Friedman’s support of the negative income tax, which is closely related to one of my favorite policies supported by the OCPA-the elimination of the state income tax.
Honestly, when I first heard of this idea, I was shocked. Being a new student of economics, I was still stuck on the elementary idea that taxes provide money for the nation and its states and that smaller paychecks were necessary for greater prosperity.
On my first day here, I have already started to research policies far more advanced and in-depth than anything covered in class. What happens at the OCPA corresponds directly to what is happening in the real world and the solutions created by the think tank’s outstanding professionals are as advanced as the problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment